skip to primary navigationskip to content

Funding for Current Students

Funding for PhD Students undertaking fieldwork

Financial support for fieldwork is available from a number of sources, both outside and within the University. All funds are competitive and require application and, in most cases, the support of your supervisor. A comprehensive list of the various funds to which you may apply can be fond using the University Funding Search in seeking funding for fieldwork as well as your College.


University fieldwork funding

All students with Leave to Work Away are eligible to apply to the University for assistance in meeting fieldwork costs.

Applications will be administered via the Department. These will be considered in gathered fields with the first deadline for applications on 30 October and second deadline on 26 May.

Guidelines for applicants

  • Students must be given permission to leave Cambridge for fieldwork but not necessarily for a term of ‘Leave to work away’ and this can include the long vacation
  • Students must be within the fee paying period of their course
  • Students may apply for up to 80% of the amount of the University Composition Fee paid during the terms of ‘work away’ up to a maximum of £8,000 if this amount can be shown to be required to complete the fieldwork successfully.
  • Students may claim for UK or international fieldwork costs, language learning, or visits to other institutions
  • Allowable items are research-related costs that exceed those that the student would ordinarily meet if staying in Cambridge e.g. tuition fees payable at another institution; travel costs; research related costs; exceptional living costs
  • Students will be required to state their source of funding and should approach their sponsors in the first instance to apply for research costs. Students with sponsorship that includes adequate resources for fieldwork expenses are excluded
  • Students must apply in advance providing details of the proposed fieldwork and a breakdown of the exact costs involved.
  • Students will need to provide proof of expenditure with any unused funds to be returned at the end of the student’s fieldwork.

Download the Fieldwork Funding Application Form

If you have any questions about applying for fieldwork funding please speak with your supervisor or the Graduate Administrator.

For general information on graduate matters, students should contact the Graduate Administrator, either by email (, telephone +44 (0) 1223 333520, or at the Archaeology Office, North Building, Downing Site.